Friday, January 02, 2004

Reunited (and it feels so good)

At the kind request of one of my international readers (ok, my only international reader), I've decided to take up my blog again and write for the simple satisfaction of it while trying to convince some-body/company/entity to pay me for my efforts.

So, a lot has happened since I last wrote--since, for example, I forewent the hare-brained idea of making a living in Los Angeles. Den of despair! I shouldn't say that. I know plenty of people who are, in fact, very happy living in the city of would-be angels; I just didn't happen to count myself among them.

As was customary in recent years, I made sure to be in San Jose for the annual jazz festival. My return to L.A. was to happen the following Tuesday, but when that afternoon arrived I found myself physically incapable (or more likely, simply unwilling) to board the lighting-fast, Greyhound bus that was to take me there. San Jose is indeed the place for me.

I pitched a tent in the living room of my dear friends, Nicole and Raul (and Maya too) and set out to find gainful employment, which I found (well, employment anyway) without too much delay. Two months later I moved into a groovy (umm) flat, we'll call it, with my best gal Kelsi, and that brings me about to present.

I'm still looking for the job I went into student loan debt for...the one that would make all the late-night term papers worth the trouble (and that is, of course, the most pessimistic viewpoint...the education WAS worth the effort in its own right...but it will be infinitely MORE worth it when I have the means to begin paying off those student loans, you dig?)

In the meantime I've been back at an old haunt--Barnes and Noble--which is among the most pleasant environments one might find when it comes to working retail. It's especially nice to be working in a Barnes and Noble in one of the most liberal areas of the country, where requests for Al Franken's Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them outnumber those for Bill O'Reilly's Who's Looking Out for You? by about 25-0 and the Evil Anne Coulter's book sits in heaping mounds, growing dusty, under a display table.

And that's the short of it, for now. I'm going to start writing more consistently, sharing some of my favorite public transportation tales of horror, along with other daily observations and embarrassing moments and good news as well.

Hope all is well--whoever you are, reading this, and wherever you might be.

No comments: