Tuesday, June 11, 2002

Mmmm...peeing into cups. What a strange thing. Actually, the peeing into the cup part is not the weird thing. It's the carrying the cup out of the bathroom, handing it to someone else, and watching them pour it into a smaller cup that is kind of goofy.

I had to take a drug test to work at Target. Can you believe that? I didn't have to do that when I worked as the stranger danger talk girl, going into different elementary and middle schools everyday, left to influence youth!!!!. But Target, evidentally, is real concerned. Oh well, it's kind of a nice feeling to take a test that you already KNOW you're gonna pass...kind of reassuring. They'll get the results in a couple of days, and then I'll have my old, manual labor job back. Lifting and climbing and opening and stocking and throwing stuff down from high places from 10:00pm to 6:00am. I can't think of any sort of work I'd rather be doing right now.

I have made a startling and disturbing discovery during my time here, and that is that COLORADO DRIVERS ARE THE WORST DRIVERS EVER!!!!!! First I thought that Arizona drivers were bad...and they were, especially the ones in golf carts. Then I thought Cleveland drivers were bad...and they were, nobody could cut you off and then slow down with greater skill than they could. But Colorado drivers, it's like they have all the horrible elements rolled into one. They are slow, but that's okay by me...I'm not usually in a hurry to get anywhere. They do the cutting-off-slowing-down thing. Yeah, that's bad. They have no clue how to merge, and THAT is really annoying. But the worst part is the red-light running. I swear it happens at every single stop light, every single time. It occurred to me the other day, that the reason they do this is because they can. I haven't seen a police car in the entire two weeks that I've been here, and that is just so WEIRD for somebody coming from San Jose. It lends weight to the theory that people will do what they can get away with. And that's incredibly depressing to me because I hate that theory!!! I always wanted to believe that people do what's right because it's the right thing to do, not because they are afraid of the fallout it they DON'T do it. Poopie poopie!!!

People from other parts of the country are horrified by California drivers (which I think comes mainly from the fact that California drivers drive so fast ) It is my contention, however, that while California drivers are assholes, they are considerate assholes, if that makes any sense. I mean, they will cut you off, yes they will. But California drivers KNOW how to cut you off. They pull in front of you and then they get the hell out of Dodge. And they DEFINITELY are the best mergers I have seen in all my travels. Plus, they can parallel park, they signal with more frequency than others (believe it or not), and they hardly ever dare to drive in the carpool lane unless they are qualified to do so. My parents say that it's getting worse out here, and I hope it doesn't continue on that trend, but only time will tell.

All the wildfires are still burning, and the skies are still pretty yucky-looking, but apparently the winds are working in the favor of the fire fighters now. They discovered that the largest fire (which is only 5% contained!) was started by an illegal campfire. That is really hard to even think about, so I won't.

Anyway, aside from peeing in cups, bad drivers, and uncontrollable wildfires, things are peachy keen here in Colorado. I'm employed, I'm well-rested, I'm in the company of my sweet little dog and my swell parents, and I STILL have all my limbs!!!!! I'm really excited about that last one.

No comments: